Recipe by Dorel
This is a microwave oven recipe. Instructions for conventional cooking are at bottom of recipe.
- 500 g dates, about 2 cups
- 177.44 ml orange juice
- 177.44 ml butter, softened or 177.44 ml soft margarine
- 158.51 ml brown sugar, lightly packed
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour
- 473.18 ml rolled oats
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4 cup(1L) glass bowl, combine dates and orange juice.
- Cover and microwave at high for 5-6 minutes, stirring once.
- Stir vigorously, breaking up dates to form a homogeneous filling.
- Set aside.
- In separate bowl, cream butter and brown sugar, stir in flour, add rolled oats, mixing until crumbly.
- Press about 2/3 of mixture in bottom of 8" or 9" square glass baking dish.
- Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, or until firm.
- Spread date filling over base.
- Top with remaining crumb mixture, pat down lightly.
- Microwave on high 5-6 minutes or until firm.
- Rotate dish partway through cooking.
- Let stand directly on counter top 10 minutes.
- Cool completely, cut into squares.
- Conventional cooking.
- For date filling, increase orange juice to 1 cup.
- Cook dates and orange juice in a covered saucepan, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat 8-10 minutes.
- Prepare crumb mixture and assemble squares as directed.
- Bake at 350° oven 25-30 minutes or until light golden.