Recipe by jovigirl
This just sounds plain sinful! Yet one more from the Family Circle archives :)
Top Review by nannie jo
Hi Jovigirl, I made the cake this morning. I can tell you this, don't use the cake recipe part of it. It is like sponge rubber! It would be a huge hit if you just use a yellow cake mix. also I had to increase the whipped cream to 2 cups. I didn't have time to bake another cake so I doctored this one and brushed the cake with strawberry syrup. Any how it is a pretty picture. Be well...Nanniejo
- 3 pints strawberries, hulled
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°. Grease 9-inch round cake pan (with removable bottom, if available). Coarsely chop 1 cup of strawberries.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger and salt into a large bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk, melted butter and egg in medium-size bowl. Add buttermilk mixture and the 1 cup chopped strawberries to flour mixture; stir until well blended and evenly moistened. Scrape batter into prepared pan; smooth top.
- Bake the shortcake in 400F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center of the shortcake comes clean. Let cake cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan to rack; let cool completely.
- Beat cream, confectioners sugar, lemon rind and extract in medium-size bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Slice shortcake horizontally in half. Place bottom layer, cut side up, on platter. Spread with 2/3 cup lemon cream. Place half of remaining berries, stem end down, on top of lemon cream. Spread cut side of the other half of shortcake with 2/3 cup lemon cream. Carefully invert on top of strawberries. Dollop top of shortcake with remaining lemon cream. Arrange remaining strawberries, stem side down, on top. Serve immediately or refrigerate for no more than 1 hour.