Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Courtesy Sandra Lee of Semi-Homemade on the Food Network.
- 1 (11 ounce) box pie crust mix
- 1⁄3 cup strawberry nectar, cold, plus
- 1 tablespoon strawberry nectar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries, partially thawed in refrigerator
- 1 egg
- sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Sift sugar, cornstarch and flour together into a medium bowl.
- Stir and combine with partially thawed strawberries.
- In a separate bowl, combine pie crust mix and cold strawberry nectar.
- Stir until a soft dough forms.
- Divide into 2 pieces, form into balls, and flatten into disks.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 of the disks out to an 11-inch circle.
- Fold in half, place in a 9-inch pie plate, and unfold.
- Press into plate, but do not stretch.
- Trim dough 1/2-inch from edge of plate.
- Roll out second disk and fold in half.
- Pour filling into pastry-lined plate.
- Place second crust on top of filling and unfold.
- Press along rim to seal and trim edges.
- Press fork into edges or crimp to make decorative edge.
- Cut vent slits or punch center with small decorative cutter or knife.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat egg, with 1 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon strawberry nectar.
- Brush atop crust and then sprinkle with sugar.
- Place pie on sheet pan* and place in oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Then lower heat to 350ºF and continue baking for an additional 50 to 60 minutes; the filling should be bubbling and top crust golden brown.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- preheat sheet pan in oven for crisper bottom crust.