Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a delicious way to cook zucchini and yellow squash without heating up your kitchen! I like to use the combination of both types of squash, but you can use either one by itself if that's what you have on hand. Note: My crockpot runs hot and cooks this recipe in 4 hours on low. Your mileage may vary. :-)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs zucchini
- 1 1⁄2 lbs crookneck yellow squash
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Cut squash into 1/2-inch pieces and place in bottom of crockpot.
- Sprinkle with seasonings and gently toss.
- Dot with butter; sprinkle with bread crumbs and cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until tender.
This was a nice way to make squash. The squash cooked perfectly, without getting too mushy. I followed the recipe as written, but I added the cheese in the last 30 minutes of cooking so it wouldn't get too burned. I will add some onions and garlic next time and use fresh herbs to add a little extra flavor that I felt it needed. Overall, it's a lovely recipe. Thanx!