Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
Simple recipe of a Chinese favourite dessert which involves steamed milk and is very tasty. Taken from http://www.mealschinese.com
- 2 cups whole milk
- 70 g egg whites
- 85 g white sugar
- Pour the milk into a small saucepan, add sugar and bring slowly to the boil over low heat. Remove from heat and pour the hot milk into three individual rice bowls. Leave to cool.
- When a skin has formed on the surface of each bowl of the cooling milk, use a toothpick to lift up a corner of the skin just enough to gently pour the hot milk out of the corner of each bowl into a large bowl. Leave the skin that has now sagged to the bottom of each individual bowl intact.
- Beat the egg white till smooth and white. Add to the milk that is left cooling in the large bowl. Stir well. Strain the mixture through a sieve to remove lumps. Scrape off the bubbles that form at the top.
- Pour the milk back into the individual bowls with the previous milk skin still intact. The skin will float to the top. Place the bowls of milk in a bamboo steamer. Boil water in a wok. Place the steamer over boiling water. Cover and steam for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- The resulting double skinned milk is pure white and set to a wobbly consistency, very smooth and mildly sweet. On cooling, a second layer of tasty skin is formed, sticking to the edge of the bowl.