Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Lighter than other versions but just as delicious! The recipe comes from Essentials of Home Cooking by Bonnie Stern.
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided in two
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, about 6 large
- 1 lb sweet potato, about 2 large
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Line bottom of an 8- 10 cup baking dish with parchment paper& coat with half the butter.
- Peel both types of potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices& arrange the half of the regular potatoes in layers in the prepared dish; sprinkle each layer with some of the olive oil& some of the seasonings.
- Arrange all of the sweet potatoes on top; sprinkle with some of the olive oil& seasonings.
- Continue layering the remaining regular potatoes, sprinkling each layer as before.
- Coat another piece of parchment paper with the remaining butter& place, butter side down, on top of the potatoes.
- Weigh this down with a heavy, oven-proof dish (or foil covered bricks) and bake for an hour or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove weights& paper; let potatoes rest for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving dish& removing other piece of parchment.