Recipe by MechanicalJen
Found in "Favorite Recipes: Quaker Oat Bran". I haven't tried these yet - putting it up here so I'll remember to make them. Hope you all enjoy!
Top Review by Goodeatin
These are pretty good quick muffins. They remind me a lot of corn muffins. I did a few things differently- no nutmeg or vanilla (I think the poster forgot it because it calls for it later), used half regular oats for the bran (didn't want to use all mine up), one whole egg, and some applesauce for oil (could probably use all). Also didn't add the topping, as I was going for a dinner muffin. The batter was quite liquidy, and if I have time next time I make these, I may let it sit to thicken up. Love the non-guilt I have making these, as I have been avoiding making so many "bad carbs", and they are even pretty darn good!
- 2 cups oat bran
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oats
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F Prep muffin cups with paper or by greasing (intuition tells me it would be better not to use paper cups here).
- Combine oat bran, 1/3 cup brown sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Add milk, egg whites, oil and vanilla, mixing until just moistened.
- Fill muffin cups to almost full.
- Combine oats and remaining brown sugar, sprinkle over batter.
- Bake 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown.
- These are supposed to freeze well.