Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
- 4 egg whites
- 225 g caster sugar
- 100 g chocolate, grated
- 100 g milk chocolate
- 300 ml whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 130C degrees (250F degrees).
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean, grease-free bowl until standing in peaks.
- Add half the sugar and whisk until thick.
- Add the remaining sugar and whisk again until really thick and glossy.
- Gently fold in the grated plain chocolate.
- Spoon mixture into a star-nozzled piping bag.
- Pipe 28 X 9 cm (3 1/2 in) long fingers onto baking sheets.
- Bake for 1-1 1/2 hrs or until dry.
- Leave to cool.
- When meringues are cold, break the milk chocolate into a bowl, stand it over a pan of hot water and stir until melted.
- Cover a baking sheet with clingfilm.
- Dip undersides of the meringues into the chocolate, then place chocolate-side down on the baking sheet.
- Leave to set.
- Spoon excess chocolate from the bowl into a grease proof paper piping bag.
- Snipp off the end and drizzle chocolate over the meringues.
- Allow to set.
- Whip the cream until stiff, then use to sandwich the meringue fingers together.
- Serve within 3 hours of filling.