Recipe by Chilicat
This was a finalist in the Honolulu Advertiser's "My Best Recipe" contest, 1990. It was originally printed in a California newpaper in the 60's. Prep time does not include chilling time.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup toasted coconut
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust, sift flour and salt, cut in butter, add toasted coconut.
- Add water, then mix.
- Roll dough to fit a 9-inch pie pan.
- Prick the crust and bake 10 minutes in a 425F degree oven. Cool.
- For filling, blend sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt with 2 cups hot water. Bring to a boil and cook slowly 15 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks and add small amount to the cornstarch mixture. Mix well, then add the remaining egg yolks and butter to the mixture.
- Cook 5 minutes more. Add lemon peel and juice. Cool.
- Put 1/2 of the filling in the bottom of the crust.
- Mix half of the whipped cream with remainder of filling and spread on top.
- Spread remainder of whipped cream on the top of the filling and sprinkle toasted coconut over it.
- Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.