Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Grandma's Cookie Jar cookbook.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- additional granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 -5 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl; set aside. Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, 1 tablespoon lemon peel and vanilla until well blended. Gradually beat in flour mixture at low speed until blended.
- Drop dough by level 1/4 cupfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets, spacing 3 inches apart. Flatten dough until 3 inches in diameter with bottom of glass that has been dipped in additional granulated sugar.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are just set and edges are golden brown. Cool on cookie sheets 2 minutes; transfer to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Combine powdered sugar, lemon juice and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon peel in small bowl; drizzle over cookies. Let stand until icing is set.
- Variation: To make smaller cookies, drop 2 tablespoons dough 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are just set and edges are golden brown. Cool on cookie sheets 2 minutes; transfer to wire racks. Cool completely. Continue with Step 5. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.