Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup milk (or more depending on the consistency)
- 1 1⁄2 cups ultrafine powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons butter (unsalted and room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder (more if you wish)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch round pans.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Beat eggs and sugar until light in color, then add melted butter and vanilla.
- Beat in cocoa, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add little by little the milk until obtaining a smooth mix (not too runny) Spread batter into prepared pans and bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Do not overcook.
- To make frosting (for an 8 inch layer cake): Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and then add enough milk to get a smooth (not runny, not like concrete) consistency.
- Usually 1/4 cup to start is good.
- Make sure everything is blended together.
- Refrigerate while cake is cooking and cooling, then frost the cake.
Amazing cake/great icing. I find that I have to use at least half a cup of milk for the batter and it's even better if you add a pinch of instant coffee to the cake batter as well as the icing (1/4 tsp does the trick for me)
The flavor of this cake was fabulous. I had a problem with the actual baking of the cake. I checked on it after the recomemded time, but it was nowhere near done. So I let it cook longer, but it fell miserably. After speaking with a baker friend of mine he said that even the slightest loss of temperature with this recipe would make it fall. He said you can't open the oven door at all until it is done, so since I don't have a window in my oven...I won't be able to make this cake again (until I get a new oven LOL). The icing was DELICIOUS. I work at a coffee shop so instead of the instant coffee powder is used 2TBSP of espresso (brewed from our espresso bar) and lessend the amount of milk. I took the icing in to my baker friend who loved it! I will be doing that again for sure.