Top Review by kmn13
Amazing cake/great icing. I find that I have to use at least half a cup of milk for the batter and it's even better if you add a pinch of instant coffee to the cake batter as well as the icing (1/4 tsp does the trick for me)
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup milk (or more depending on the consistency)
- 1 1⁄2 cups ultrafine powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons butter (unsalted and room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder (more if you wish)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch round pans.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Beat eggs and sugar until light in color, then add melted butter and vanilla.
- Beat in cocoa, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add little by little the milk until obtaining a smooth mix (not too runny) Spread batter into prepared pans and bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Do not overcook.
- To make frosting (for an 8 inch layer cake): Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and then add enough milk to get a smooth (not runny, not like concrete) consistency.
- Usually 1/4 cup to start is good.
- Make sure everything is blended together.
- Refrigerate while cake is cooking and cooling, then frost the cake.