1/3 Photos of Double-layer Chocolate Cake
Another no-fail made-from-scratch recipe from Sunset. A nice, firm cake that makes two perfectly flat two-inch layers that are not too sweet. A perfect cake for a variety of fillings and frostings. Note: To melt chocolate, break it into small pieces and place in a small microwave-safe bowl; cook in microwave at half power, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. (Watch it closely, stirring occasionally and heat until just melted).
My Private Note
9inch l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In mixing bowl at medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until blended.
- 3Beat in eggs.
- 4Add melted chocolate and vanilla; beat until combined.
- 5In another bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 6In another small bowl, mix milk and sour cream.
- 7Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to butter mixture, about a third of each at a time, beating after each addition.
- 8(Batter will be very thick).
- 9Spread batter evenly into cake pans.
- 10Bake in 350 degree oven until a wooden skewer or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (25 to 30 minutes).
- 11Cool on racks in pans for 10 minutes, then invert cakes onto racks and remove pans.
- 12Cool completely before frosting.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double-layer Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.5
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 82.3 mg
- Sodium 287.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 26.8 g
- Protein 7.2 g