Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another no-fail made-from-scratch recipe from Sunset. A nice, firm cake that makes two perfectly flat two-inch layers that are not too sweet. A perfect cake for a variety of fillings and frostings. Note: To melt chocolate, break it into small pieces and place in a small microwave-safe bowl; cook in microwave at half power, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. (Watch it closely, stirring occasionally and heat until just melted).
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In mixing bowl at medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until blended.
- Beat in eggs.
- Add melted chocolate and vanilla; beat until combined.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another small bowl, mix milk and sour cream.
- Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to butter mixture, about a third of each at a time, beating after each addition.
- (Batter will be very thick).
- Spread batter evenly into cake pans.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until a wooden skewer or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (25 to 30 minutes).
- Cool on racks in pans for 10 minutes, then invert cakes onto racks and remove pans.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Pretty good, but for my sister and me we prefer a sweeter cake. We're probably going to use semi-sweet chocolate instead of unsweetened and probably more milk and sour cream to give the cake more moisture. It was a little dry.. but overall a good firm cake. :)
delicious flavour, good chocolate balance, nice and moist. And surprisingly flat, level layers. I baked it at 325F a bit longer to avoid crowning, but I suspect I could have skipped that step. A new favourite.
This was great!!!! Had a very good chocolate flavor!!I iced it with My Favorite Decorator Cake Icing Recipe #143012 and filled it with whipped cream. My cake baked for 30 minutes so the timing was right. Thanks for the recipe Sharlene~W! !