Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another no-fail made-from-scratch recipe from Sunset. A nice, firm cake that makes two perfectly flat two-inch layers that are not too sweet. A perfect cake for a variety of fillings and frostings. Note: To melt chocolate, break it into small pieces and place in a small microwave-safe bowl; cook in microwave at half power, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. (Watch it closely, stirring occasionally and heat until just melted).
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In mixing bowl at medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until blended.
- Beat in eggs.
- Add melted chocolate and vanilla; beat until combined.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another small bowl, mix milk and sour cream.
- Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to butter mixture, about a third of each at a time, beating after each addition.
- (Batter will be very thick).
- Spread batter evenly into cake pans.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until a wooden skewer or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (25 to 30 minutes).
- Cool on racks in pans for 10 minutes, then invert cakes onto racks and remove pans.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Pretty good, but for my sister and me we prefer a sweeter cake. We're probably going to use semi-sweet chocolate instead of unsweetened and probably more milk and sour cream to give the cake more moisture. It was a little dry.. but overall a good firm cake. :)
delicious flavour, good chocolate balance, nice and moist. And surprisingly flat, level layers. I baked it at 325F a bit longer to avoid crowning, but I suspect I could have skipped that step. A new favourite.
This was great!!!! Had a very good chocolate flavor!!I iced it with My Favorite Decorator Cake Icing My Favorite Decorator Cake Icing and filled it with whipped cream. My cake baked for 30 minutes so the timing was right. Thanks for the recipe Sharlene~W! !