This comes from a wonderful cook and writer, Jill Dupleix. This is a pretty simple dish of green beans tossed in a wok with salted black beans and chile for a very quick vegetable side dish. It looks beautiful with the red and green. Salted black beans are preserved, fermented soy beans, available in bags or tins from Chinese food stores. They are quite pungent. If you make this without them, add 2 T oyster sauce instead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon salted black beans
- 2 to taste ginger, peeled
- 300 g fresh green beans
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1/2 small red chili pepper, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornflour, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Soak the black beans in cold water for 10 minutes.
- 2Cut the ginger into thin matchsticks.
- 3Top and tail the green beans if necessary, and cut in half lengthwise, on an extreme diagonal.
- 4Cut the sweet red pepper into thin strips, discarding core and seeds.
- 5Cook the green beans and red pepper in a pan of simmering salted water for 3 minutes, then drain and refresh under cold water.
- 6Drain again, and pat dry with a clean towel.
- 7Heat the oil in a wok or fry pan, then add the garlic, ginger and chile, tossing well.
- 8Add the green beans and red pepper, and toss well for 2 minutes over high heat.
- 9Add the drained black beans, rice wine, soy sauce and sesame oil and toss well for a further minute.
- 10Add the cornflour mixture and toss until the sauce thickens and coats the vegetables.
- 11Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Happiness Beans
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 121.8
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 509.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 3.0 g