When throwing away an empty butter carton, I noticed this recipe on the side. Being a mango and ginger lover, it certainly caught my eye.
- 1⁄2 cup dried mango, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Combine mango and grated gingerroot in a small bowl; stir in hot water and set aside. (kitchen shears cut the dried mango easier than a knife).
- Combine flour, sugars, ground ginger and salt.
- Cut in butter (if using a food processor - pulse 5-6 times until mixture resembles coarse meal. Don't over process!).
- Combine beaten egg with mango mixture from step 2 and stir into flour/butter mixture. (Again, if using a food processor, only pulse 5-6 times to mix).
- Press evenly into a 10-inch by 15-inch rimmed baking pan.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lighlt browned.
- Cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces while still warm.