1 hr 15 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
Crystallized ginger and grated orange peel elevate this beyond the regular gingerbread. The Grand Marnier Cream adds the perfect final touch. From an April 1986 issue of Bon Appetit .The recipe was featured in "A New Look at Coffee Cakes".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
For Grand Marnier Cream
- 1For Gingerbread:.
- 2Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- 3Grease 8-inch square baking pan;dust with flour.
- 4Sift first 8 ingredients into bowl.
- 5Using electric mixer, cream butter in another bowl.
- 6Add brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy;beat in egg,then molasses.
- 7Mix in buttermilk alternately with dry ingredients.
- 8Fold in crystallized ginger and orange peel;spoon batter into prepared pan.
- 9Bake until springy to touch, 45 to 50 minutes.
- 10Cool cake in pan on rack.
- 11Serve with cream.
- 12For Grand Marnier Cream:.
- 13Beat cream,Grand Marnier and vanilla until beginning to thicken.
- 14Add sugar and sour cream and beat until soft peaks form.
- 15Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Ginger Gingerbread
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 366.3
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 71.7 mg
- Sodium 250.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 25.1 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: