Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Crystallized ginger and grated orange peel elevate this beyond the regular gingerbread. The Grand Marnier Cream adds the perfect final touch. From an April 1986 issue of Bon Appetit .The recipe was featured in "A New Look at Coffee Cakes".
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup light molasses
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
For Grand Marnier Cream
- 2⁄3 cup well-chilled whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- For Gingerbread:.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Grease 8-inch square baking pan;dust with flour.
- Sift first 8 ingredients into bowl.
- Using electric mixer, cream butter in another bowl.
- Add brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy;beat in egg,then molasses.
- Mix in buttermilk alternately with dry ingredients.
- Fold in crystallized ginger and orange peel;spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until springy to touch, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on rack.
- Serve with cream.
- For Grand Marnier Cream:.
- Beat cream,Grand Marnier and vanilla until beginning to thicken.
- Add sugar and sour cream and beat until soft peaks form.
- Serve immediately.