Recipe by pansies
Gingery! Yeah! Original found in Canadian Homemakers Magazine in 1999.
Top Review by sprue
I subbed some of the shortening with applesause and put in a couple shakes of red pepper to add a kick. YUM YUM YUM! thanks the second time i made these they turned out very very flat. i had to keep adding more and more flour and finally the last batch had a little height. i dont know why. i did the same thing and the first time they were perfect?
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped candied ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- granulated sugar, to roll dough balls in
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together shortening and sugar; add egg and molasses and mix well.
- Stir together the flour, soda, salt, spices and candied ginger. Blend into the creamed mixture.
- Shape into balls about 1-inch in diameter. Roll balls in granulated sugar. Place about 2-inches apart on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Careful not to overbake. Cookies should be slightly soft when removed from the oven.
- Allow to cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before removing to racks to complete cooling.