Recipe by Mirj
These are intensely flavored, you have been warned! You get little bursts of ginger depending on how finely you chop the crystallized ginger. These cookies freeze well.
Top Review by StoneOven
These cookies are great - a nice crunch on the outside, chewy on the inside, not too sweet and the right amount of ginger. Low fat and vegan, too! I used a total of 1 cup sugar and they were fine. This recipe yielded 3 dozen good-sized cookies for me. You may wish to flatten them with a fork before baking, being low in fat they don't spread much.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
- Combine flours and next 5 ingredients (flours through ground ginger); stir well with a whisk.
- Make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine 1 cup sugar, applesauce, and next 4 ingredients (applesauce through vanilla).
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist; cover and chill dough at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly coat hands with flour.
- Shape dough into 24 balls (about 2 tablespoons each; dough will be sticky).
- Roll balls in 1/4 cup sugar.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool 1 minute on pan.
- Remove from pan; cool completely on wire racks.