Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
When I was about fifteen, my dad came home from a business trip with half a bushel of tomatoes and about five pounds of basil...so we had a bit of fun with it! Now a family favorite, and I always make extra if I need it after my roommate gets ahold of it!
- 15 -18 large tomatoes
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 small onions
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Chop tomatoes into small pieces for stewing, removing the seeds and juice if thicker sauce is desired.
- Dice onions and mince garlic. In large pot, saute onions and garlic in olive oil and/or apple cider until onions are just translucent and soft.
- Add in tomatoes and basil, let stew on medium heat for 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally.
- When tomatoes have softened into a "mush", bring just to a boil, then add salt and peppers and simmer for one hour.
- Serve chunky or puree with immersion blender.