2 hrs 25 mins
1 hr 25 mins
I always like to have bread pudding as a dessert when dining out, but I've never made this one. This one I had to try, though, and it's wonderful. It's a recipe by Paula Deen and it was published in a recent issue of Ladies Home Journal. Plan ahead - it should refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. I have included the 1 hour chilling time in the preparation time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- butter, for dish
- 1 lb day-old French bread or 1 lb Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 lb semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- 1Butter a 13x9-inch baking dish; spread out bread in dish.
- 2In large bowl, whisk together sugars, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt.
- 3Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until combined well.
- 4Whisk in extract.
- 5Place chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl.
- 6In a medium saucepan, bring milk and heavy cream just to a boil.
- 7Pour over chocolate and stir until completely melted.
- 8Whisking constantly, slowly pour chocolate mixture into egg mixture; whisk in bourbon.
- 9Evenly pour over bread.
- 10Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 11Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- 12Bake pudding until just set and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- 13Serve warm or chilled with whipped cream, if using.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double-Fudge Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 523.9
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 121.0 mg
- Sodium 325.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 30.6 g
- Protein 13.8 g