Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I always like to have bread pudding as a dessert when dining out, but I've never made this one. This one I had to try, though, and it's wonderful. It's a recipe by Paula Deen and it was published in a recent issue of Ladies Home Journal. Plan ahead - it should refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. I have included the 1 hour chilling time in the preparation time.
- butter, for dish
- 1 lb day-old French bread or 1 lb Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 lb semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Butter a 13x9-inch baking dish; spread out bread in dish.
- In large bowl, whisk together sugars, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until combined well.
- Whisk in extract.
- Place chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk and heavy cream just to a boil.
- Pour over chocolate and stir until completely melted.
- Whisking constantly, slowly pour chocolate mixture into egg mixture; whisk in bourbon.
- Evenly pour over bread.
- Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Bake pudding until just set and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Serve warm or chilled with whipped cream, if using.