Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Add fruit and vegetables whenever, possible, and this recipe is no exception. A good way to get in your 5 servings of fruit! The whole wheat flour adds fiber and vitamin E.
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup blueberries (or any berries)
- 3⁄4 cup strawberry, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup banana, sliced
- In a medium bowl combine the 2 flours, 1 tablespoon sugar and baking powder.
- In a measuring cup combine the buttermilk, oil and egg. Mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined.
- Combine the fruit, add to the batter.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Use 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, spread to flatten. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface and the bottom is lightly brown.
- Turn pancakes and cook for 1-2 minutes longer until golden.
- Serve immediately. Keep warm by transferring to a 200 degree F oven.
- You can also puree the remaining fruit and serve with pancakes as a topping instead of maple syrup.
I really enjoyed these! they cooked up super well! I have to admit though, I made some changes: I used only 1/2 a cup of fruit (I dont see how these could take anymore then that) and I used chopped canned peaches for the fruit. I also added vanilla and cinnamon, and I cut the oil in half. They worked great though with these alterations, and I will make them again!