Recipe by Sharon123
Double the pleasure! Adapted from Cooking With Paula(Deen) magazine. I don't eat bacon, so adapted this to suit my taste. Actually, you could make this without the bacon and it will still be good. Sometimes you could skip toasting the bread, and yep, it'll still be great. I hope you enjoy.
Top Review by Studentchef
It took me a while to find vegetarian bacon and when I did I found the taste to be a little bland (I guess I expected more since I keep kosher). But overall, it was a really good sandwhich, and it made for a nice, light supper.
- 12 slices vegetarian bacon
- 12 slices whole grain bread (I love rye and pumpernickel)
- curly green leaf lettuce
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced to desired thickness
- fresh basil, sliced (optional)
- Cook the bacon and place on paper towels. When cool, break each slice in half.
- Toast the bread slices.
- Spread mayonnaise on 2 slices of bread. Now lay lettuce leaf, tomato slices, and 3 pieces of the broken veggie bacon on one slice.
- Top with other bread slice, mayonnaise side up. Lay lettuce leaf, tomato slices and 3 pieces of broken bacon on bread. Top with additional slice of bread.
- Repeat for remaining three sandwiches. Slice diagonally and serve. Great served with pickles and chips. Enjoy!