1/2 Photos of Double Decker Tacos
Soft taco on the outside, crispy taco on the inside. These are easier to eat than a regular taco. The soft taco keeps everything together. It's a very filling taco. My kids LOVE these tacos!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 taco shells (Old El Paso has a box of 10 taco shells that are flat on the bottom called "Stand n' Stuff".)
- 10 small flour tortillas, snack size (Casa Valdez makes this size)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans or 2 cups homemade refried beans
- 1Brown ground beef.
- 3Add taco seasoning according to packet directions.
- 4While beef is simmering put refried beans in a small sauce pan to warm over low heat. May need to add 1-2 tablespoons of water to the beans to thin them out a bit.
- 5Warm soft tortillas in a dry skillet over low to medium heat. You don't want to brown or crisp them at all. Just warm them on both sides so that they are pliable.
- 6Keep tortillas warm in foil. These can be placed in a warm oven if needed.
- 7Assemble the tacos:.
- 8Spread warm beans on a warm flour tortilla (Like spreading pizza sauce on pizza dough).
- 9Sprinkle beans with shredded cheese.
- 10Stand a taco shell in the center of tortilla spread with beans and cheese.
- 11Gently press the soft tortilla onto the sides of the taco shell.
- 12Fill taco shell with beef, more shredded cheese, shredded lettuce and salsa.
- 13*variation* if you prefer not to use refried beans just use all cheese to "glue the soft tortilla to the taco shell. If you choose this option just cover the tortilla with a layer of shredded cheese while warming in skillet. As soon as the cheese is melted remove from skillet and place your taco shell in the middle, quickly folding up the sides so they stick to the taco shell. Fill taco and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Decker Tacos
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.1
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 58.2 mg
- Sodium 547.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 20.0 g