Recipe by Lalaloula
This recipe is amazing. Seriously, I am in love with this pie. It is so creamy, chocolatey and for a chocolate pie rather good for you. YUM! The original comes from Kathy's amazing blog (http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2009/11/double-dark-chocolate-mousse-pie.html), but Ive made some changes.
For the Crust
- 14 dates, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes (reserve some of their water)
- 8 caramel cookies (lotus brand, speculoos)
- 12 butter cookies
For the Filling
- 32 g cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50 g extra dark chocolate (make sure it is vegan if that is a concern)
- 1 cup silken tofu
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons almond meal
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 1 tablespoon instant mocha-flavored coffee powder (optional, but yummy)
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- dark chocolate shavings
Directions See How It's Made
- First prepare your crust by pulsing dates, about 1 tbs or so of their soaking water and the cookies in a food processor until nicely combined. You might need to add a tad more water to get it to bind properly.
- Press into a lightly oiled or paper-lined standard pie plate.
- Next prepare your filling by combining cornstarch, cocoa powder, almond milk, salt, cinnamon and vanilla in a pot. Bring to a boil stirring often with a wire whisk. Cook until thickened (about 3-5 minutes), then stir in tofu and dark chocolate as well as the almond meal and hot water.
- When chocolate has melted, blend until totally smooth (I used an immersion blender).
- Stir in mocha powder if using and potato starch.
- Pour into your crust and bake in the preheated oven at 350°F/175° C for 30 minutes. Make sure to cover after 14 minutes if getting too dark on top. Let cool at room temperature.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings if using.
- Chill in the fridge at least 3 hours before serving, but serve at room temperature.