Recipe by breezermom
I was at the market today, and the smell coming from the fresh peaches was driving me crazy! So I had to run home and make my Mom's peach cobbler. I was surprised to find that this variation has not been posted here. Serve with homemade vanilla ice cream. (If peaches aren't in season where you are, use 2 20 oz packages of frozen sliced peaches, thawed).
Top Review by revelation3.20
Excellent with fresh peaches. In addition to the teaspoon of vanilla, I added a teaspoon of almond extract. This is much better than the type of cobbler which has a batter mixed up and placed beneath the fruit in which case the dough absorbs all of the juice (which ruins a fruit pie IMHO). This one takes more time but is definitely worth it.
- 5 lbs peaches, sliced
- 2 cups sugar (adjust the amount based on the sweetness of your peaches...you may need more if you use the frozen p)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 4 -6 tablespoons ice water
- vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE FILLING:.
- In a dutch oven stir together the sliced peaches, 2 cups sugar, 3 tbsp all purpose flour, and 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg. Set aside until a syrup forms. Once it does, bring the peach mixture to a boil; reduce the heat to low, and cook 10 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat; add almond extract and 1/3 cup butter, stirring until butter melts.
- Roll half of the Double Crust Pastry to 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; cut into a 9 inch square. Spoon half of the peaches into a lightly buttered 9 inch square pan; top with the pastry square. Bake at 475 degrees for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Spoon remaining peaches over baked pastry square.
- Roll remaining pastry to 1/8 inch thickness, and cut into 1 inch strips; arrange in a lattice design over peaches. Bake 15 to 18 more minutes or until browned. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
- FOR THE DOUBLE-CRUST PASTRY.
- Combine flour and salt; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas. Sprinkle with ice water, 1 tbsp at a time, stirring with a fork until the dry ingredients are moistened. Shape into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill until ready to use.