Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This sandwich is tasty, healthy, packed w/flavour & crunch & ideal for an elegant light lunch or even a picnic since the egg salad & slaw mixtures are prepared in advance & the sandwiches easy to assemble. My source was the California Egg Commission, but I did amend the recipe slightly, the quantities to allow for fewer servings & the prep to make it clearer. Stated times do not include hard-boiling the eggs or refrigeration time.
For Egg Salad
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, diced
- 3⁄4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup radish, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons dill pickles, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (low-fat if you prefer)
- 3 slices bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled (optional)
- 2 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Italian salad dressing
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 18 slices sandwich bread, crusts trimmed
- For Egg Salad: Combine all ingredients & refrigerate at least 2 hrs to allow flavours to blend.
- For Coleslaw: Combine all ingredients & refrigerate at least 2 hrs to allow flavours to blend.
- Bread Prep: Trim of crusts. For an elegant luncheon presentation, cut sandwich bread in 4 in rounds - or - for just good eating, leave sandwich bread slices square & slice on the diagonal when assembly complete.
- Sandwich Assembly: Spread equal amt of coleslaw mixture on 6 sandwich rounds or squares.
- Top coleslaw mixture w/a 2nd sandwich round or square.
- Spread equal amt of egg salad mixture on 2nd sandwich round or square.
- Top w/3rd sandwich round or square & serve immediately.
Yummy sandwich, tasty and filling! I left out the onions as I don't care for them. The coleslaw with the Italian dressing was great and a good match to the egg salad. Served for dinner with a cup of soup and didn't bother with trimming the crust. Great hearty "meal" sandwich - thanks for sharing the recipe!