Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love clotted cream from England, but it's hard to get here in the US. I found this recipe in a book from the Stars Restaurant, and it comes as close as anything I've tried to real clotted cream. This is a great (IMO, essential) spread for scones and muffins.
- 113.39 g mascarpone cheese
- 236.59 ml heavy cream, plus
- 29.58 ml heavy cream (not ultra pasteurized)
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 0.25 ml salt
- Put all the ingredients in a stainless steel bowl and whisk until the cream holds its shape.
- Refrigerate the cream until ready to use.
- Double cream should be used within an hour after it is made.
- If you wait longer, you will need to re-whip it slightly.
I've never had real clotted cream, so I don't feel qualified to give five stars... but this was easy to make, tasted great on scones #43098 (and probably would on others too :P) and held it shape for days. I think I rewhipped it once, after almost a week. (I decided the experation date should be the first of the experation dates of the ingredients, so a keeping it for a week was quite safe.)
Oh, so bad. Oh, so good. Didn't have any problem with keeping cream nicely whipped and presentable...no re-whipping required, even after several hours!