Recipe by Roxygirl in Colorado
This was a hit at our teachers luncheon and I ended up buying the cookbook it's from: Better Homes and Garden Easy Everyday Vegetarian.
Top Review by TreeSquirrel
I like how simple this is to throw together. I substituted caramelized, diced, white onions instead of green onions. I didn't care for the flavor of the green chilies, so the next time I make this I'm going to either leave the green chilies out altogether, or try diced red peppers. For the buttermilk, I took another reviewer's suggestion and added a big splash of vinegar to regular milk. I also used a regular size of canned corn, splitting it between the layers. It all turned out good and I'm going to try to alter it in the future. Thanks for posting!
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 2-quart square baking dish.
- Tear tortillas into bite-size pieces (pizza cutter works well).
- Arrange HALF the tortillas in the baking dish.
- Top with HALF of the cheese, HALF of the corn, HALF of the green onions.
- Repeat layers with remaining tortillas, cheese, corn and onions.
- Stir together eggs buttermilk, and green chilies.
- Gently pour over tortilla mixture.
- Bake uncovered in a 325 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with salsa or picante sauce.