Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The Winning Recipe for 1992 in the San Francisco Chronicle, by Georgeanne Brennan.
Make and share this Double Corn Spoon Bread With Green Chiles recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 large fresh green chilies, roasted, peeled and seeded (such as Anaheim)
- 1⁄2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 2 fresh ears of corn, kernels of (yellow or white)
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter an 8-inch-square baking pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- Place the chilies in a layer on the bottom of the pan, and sprinkle all but 2 tablespoons of the cheese on top of them.
- Beat the egg whites until fluffy, but not stiff.
- In another bowl, mix together the egg yolks, corn kernels, cornmeal, flour, milk, sour cream and salt.
- Fold the whites gently into the yolk-flour mixture. Spoon over the cheese and peppers. Cut the remaining butter into small pieces and scatter over the top. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over all.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until all but the very center is set. Serve hot.