Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is great for those times when you rush home from work, kick off your shoes, roll up your sleeves and have a wonderful pot of nourishing, hot chowder in no time ! I've included 2 other variations to also try. This is from BHG Comfort foods edition, circa 1992.
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen whole corn
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup green peppers or 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sliced dried beef or 1⁄2 cup ham
- 1⁄4 cup corn nuts (optional) or 1⁄4 cup coarsely broken corn chips (optional)
- In a large saucepan combine corn, water, green or red bell peppper, onion, chicken bouillon granules, and pepper.
- Bring to boiling:reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or till corn is tender (DO NOT DRAIN!).
- Stir together milk and flour.
- Stir into corn mixture.
- Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Stir in dried beef.
- If desired, garnish each serving with corn nuts or chips.
- For Triple-corn chowder: Prepare original recipe, but substitute 1/4 Cup cornmeal for the flour.
- For Mexican Corn Chowder:.
- Prepare the original recipe except reduce the milk to 3/4 Cup and omit dried beef.
- Add 1 7-ounce can diced tomatoes, cut up.
- 3 tablespoons to 1/3 Cup canned, chopped green chile peppers, drained.
- Stir in the undrained tomatoes and the chili peppers into the thickened mixture, and heat through.