A 10-inch cast iron skilled is preferably used with this recipe. From "Things Cooks Love: Implements. Ingredients. Recipes" by Sur La Table and Marie Simmons. Note: Fresh corn is preferred, although canned or thawed frozen kernels can be used.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil (flavorless vegetable oil) or 1/4 cup grapeseed oil (flavorless vegetable oil)
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons coarsely shredded smoked mozzarella cheese or 1/2 cup gouda cheese
- 1/4 cup minced smoked ham (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (rinsed drained)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over low heat on the stove top and leave it to heat while preparing the batter for the corn bread.
- 2In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and black pepper and stir with a standard whisk to mix. In a second large bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and 1/4 cup of the oil until blended. Stir into this second bowl the corn, 1/2 cup of the cheese, the ham (if using), the tomatoes and the parsley.
- 3Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk mixture and fold together with a rubber spatula just until blended.
- 4Drizzle the heated skillet with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, tilting the pan to coat evenly. Immediately add the batter (the oil will sizzle and bubble up around the edges to coat the sides of the skillet), and spread it to the edges of the skillet, using a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons cheese.
- 5Bake for 25 minutes, or until the top is golden and the edges have pulled away from the sides of the skillet. Serve hot or at room temperature, cut into wedges.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Corn Bread With Smoked Mozzarella and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 249.7
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 53.2 mg
- Sodium 580.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 7.5 g