Recipe by Lady D.
Delicious fall and winter-time soup. I got this from the Light Cooking book. Because my mom is the only one in the family who likes onions, we cut back to about 3/4 c, but it didn't really change the soup. Any of the ingredients in here could be added to or taken from to suit your own taste. :)
Top Review by Narie
I just found this recipe in a diabetic cookbook and made it today. My husband raved about it. I omitted the onions as we don't like them and just made a roue with the butter and flour and some veggie broth first before adding in the rest of the broth to boil. I used 3/4 cup of cheese instead of the 1/4 cup the recipe called for. Excellent and easy corn chowder!
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper (diced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt margarine in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth; bring to boil, stirring frequently.
- Add cream corn, corn kernels, bell pepper, and pepper sauce.
- Bring to simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 15 min.
- Remove from heat; gradually stir in cheese until melted.