Great coconut flavor and mile-high meringue! The filling is cooked in the microwave, so no stirring over a hot stove (although you could easily do it on the stove if you prefer). To make a TRIPLE coconut meringue pie, use a coconut pie-crust.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (9 inch) baked pie shells
- 1Stir together the sugar and cornstarch so there are no lumps.
- 2Add the milks and stir well.
- 3Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir.
- 4Continue microwaving and stirring every 30 seconds until thick and bubbly.
- 5Whisk the egg yolks well.
- 6Stir in tablespoons of the hot milk liquid to temper the eggs, whisking as you add a total of about ½ C of the hot liquid.
- 7Stir the egg mixture into the remaining milk mixture.
- 8Continue to microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring frequently until it returns to a boil and is thickened.
- 9Remove from heat.
- 10Add coconut, vanilla, and butter. Stir until uniformly incorporated.
- 11Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell.
- 13Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a very clean bowl on Med. speed until white and bubbly.
- 14Turn mixer on high and add sugar 1 T at a time.
- 15Beat until stiff peaks form.
- 16Carefully dollop meringue on pie filling and spread over it, being sure to seal edges of the meringue to the crust.
- 17Sprinkle coconut on top.
- 18Bake at 350 o for 12-18 minute
- 19Cool pie on wire rack 1 hour.
- 20Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Keep chilled.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Coconut Meringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 603.7
- Calories from Fat 361
- Total Fat 40.1 g
- Saturated Fat 28.7 g
- Cholesterol 111.6 mg
- Sodium 275.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 35.8 g
- Protein 9.2 g