Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great coconut flavor and mile-high meringue! The filling is cooked in the microwave, so no stirring over a hot stove (although you could easily do it on the stove if you prefer). To make a TRIPLE coconut meringue pie, use a coconut pie-crust.
- Stir together the sugar and cornstarch so there are no lumps.
- Add the milks and stir well.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir.
- Continue microwaving and stirring every 30 seconds until thick and bubbly.
- Whisk the egg yolks well.
- Stir in tablespoons of the hot milk liquid to temper the eggs, whisking as you add a total of about ½ C of the hot liquid.
- Stir the egg mixture into the remaining milk mixture.
- Continue to microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring frequently until it returns to a boil and is thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Add coconut, vanilla, and butter. Stir until uniformly incorporated.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell.
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a very clean bowl on Med. speed until white and bubbly.
- Turn mixer on high and add sugar 1 T at a time.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Carefully dollop meringue on pie filling and spread over it, being sure to seal edges of the meringue to the crust.
- Sprinkle coconut on top.
- Bake at 350 o for 12-18 minute
- Cool pie on wire rack 1 hour.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Keep chilled.
My favorite pie is coconut cream, and this is over the top with flavor. Not too hard to make, either!