The best coconut cream pie ever!!
Make and share this Double Coconut Cream Pie recipe from Food.com.
- For filling, in a saucepan, combine the 1 cup sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat till mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove the saucepan from heat.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with a fork.
- Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot filling into yolks. Return all to saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove mixture from the heat.
- Stir in the 3/4 cup coconut, the butter and vanilla. Pour filling into baked piecrust.
- For meringue, in a mixing bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer till soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1/4 cup sugar, beating till stiff peaks form (tips stand straight)and sugar dissolves.
- Immediately spread meringue over hot filling
- in piecrust, carefully sealing to edge of pastry to prevent shrinkage.
- Sprinkle the 1/4 cup coconut over the top.
- Bake the pie in a 350° oven for 15 minutes or till golden. Cool the pie completely on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
- Makes 8 servings.