Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
The best coconut cream pie ever!!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 5 eggs, seperated
- 3⁄4 cup coconut
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 9 inches baked pie crusts
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup coconut
- For filling, in a saucepan, combine the 1 cup sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat till mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove the saucepan from heat.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with a fork.
- Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot filling into yolks. Return all to saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove mixture from the heat.
- Stir in the 3/4 cup coconut, the butter and vanilla. Pour filling into baked piecrust.
- For meringue, in a mixing bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer till soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1/4 cup sugar, beating till stiff peaks form (tips stand straight)and sugar dissolves.
- Immediately spread meringue over hot filling
- in piecrust, carefully sealing to edge of pastry to prevent shrinkage.
- Sprinkle the 1/4 cup coconut over the top.
- Bake the pie in a 350° oven for 15 minutes or till golden. Cool the pie completely on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
- Makes 8 servings.
Fantastic pie!! I used 1 cup coconut milk and 1 cup 2% milk. I also increased the coconut to 1 cup. My husband said it's the best coconut cream pie he's ever had :)
Went by the recipe exactly. And have to do two PIES so I can have some, A perfect for this pie. Thank you, Bliss!
Went by the recipe exactly. My pie was beautiful when it came out of the oven, but it never "set up". I refrigerated it for 3 hours before serving. It ran all over the plate. It was like coconut soup. It was very tasty, but I was really disappointed. I may try it one more time. I may not use 2 full cups of milk and I may add more coconut.