Recipe by Derf
Special occasion cake, great birthday cake! Edited from Cooking Light.
Top Review by sharflan
EXCELLENT! This cake rises beautifully and retains both it's moisture and flavour (even 3 days later!!). The frosting (a boiled frosting like my Mama used to make & I never could!) is supurb!!! Easy to make (use a candy thermometer for a proper temp reading - it's essential! A heavy bottomed saucepan is your best choice here) and the flavour is magnificent!! My husband actually asked for a 2nd piece (he never asks for 2nds of anything!!!) As a variation, use maple flavouring and top a chocolate cake - WOW!! THANKS for this excellent recipe, one I'll be making again and again!!!
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon cake flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut, divided
Fluffy Coconut Frosting
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons hot water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat 2 (9 inch) round cake pans with cooking spray, dust with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Combine 2 1/4 cups flour, baking powder,and salt, stirring with a whisk.
- Place sugar and butter in a large bowl, beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (for about 5 minutes).
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Sharply tap the pans once on countertop to remove air bubbles.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire racks, and remove from pans.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate, spread with 1 cup fluffy coconut frosting.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut.
- Top with remaining cake layer, spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut over top of cake.
- Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
- Fluffy coconut Frosting:.
- Place egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl, beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil.
- Cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 238 degrees.
- Pour hot sugar syrup in a thin steam over egg whites, beating at high speed.
- Stir in extracts.