Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found a recipe for zucchini brownies that claimed to be healthy, but it had 1/2 c. oil in it. I thought that was a bit too much, so I made up my own version--still rich, moist, and very chocolatey, but not so high in fat! I like to use whole wheat flour in cookies and brownies because I think it makes them moister, but if you prefer, you can substitute all or partly white flour. You can add nuts to this as well, if you like. A sprinkling of powdered sugar on top is a pretty finish. This is a great way to use up some of that abundance of zucchini--and to get your kids to eat some vegies! :)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups finely grated zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- Beat sugar, oil, yogurt, egg, and vanilla together until smooth.
- Add flour through cinnamon and stir until a thick batter forms.
- Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips. As the moisture from the zucchini soaks into the batter, the batter will soften a bit.
- Spray a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan with cooking spray and pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 - 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out mostly clean.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
I used plain yogurt and then just added a 3rd tsp of vanilla extract to mine. I used half whole wheat/half white flour and they came out with no problem. They were pretty good, but not as fudgy a brownie as I was looking for. I frosted them with a nice chocolate buttercream and that satisfied the chocoholic in me!
Very moist! My husband and I loved them.
These are wonderful!! My only complaint is that the dough is kinda hard to work with--even after adding the zucchini--but a bit of "spreading" in the pan helped smooth them out. I used half brown sugar, 1/2 Splenda, 1/2 whole wheat & white flour (I didn't think hubby would go for all whole wheat but I may try that next time!). I also used mini choc chips. Baking time was right on--about 25 min. They are moist & tasty! Thank you for sharing!!