Recipe by JillAZ
More of a dessert than a breakfast. My kids love these for an evening snack. They are really good with fresh sliced berries!
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (milk or semisweet)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl beat egg yolks with milk and vanilla.
- Add melted butter, a little at a time, whisking the whole time so the eggs don't cook.
- Add dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the beaten whites into the waffle batter very gently so as not to deflate the egg whites.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter onto waffle iron using about 1/4 cup per waffle. Bake until waffles are cooked through and crisp. This will vary depending upon your waffle iron.
- Serve warm.
- to Freeze: Cool to room temperature and place waffles separated by waxed paper on a cookie sheet. Freeze until firm and then package in freezer bags.
- To serve: Remove from freezer bag and toast in toaster until crisp.