Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This came from the Betty Crocker cookbook. Its egg free, and can be mixed right in the pan!
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour (do not use self rising)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar or 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- powdered sugar (optional, to dust cake)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, brown sugar,cocoa, baking soda and salt with a fork in an ungreased 8x8x2in.
- pan (square of course!).
- Stir in remaining ingredients except the chocolate chips and powdered sugar.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the batter.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Cool in pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
This is great. Made it for a co-worker who is allergic to eggs and the entire staff loved it. Made it again for my hubby's bday and it was a hit. Now I'm on the third make in 2 months and it's so simple to make and clean up and tastes GREAT. I even replaced the oil with unsweetened applesause to make it "fat free" and still delicious! ENJOY!!
OMG. This is the best chocolate cake recipe ever! I made it into muffins and they were superb. Can't believe no milk or eggs.... kids loved it, hubby loved it... I reckon co-workers are going to absolutely love it, too!
I mixed this in the pan as suggested. I used 1 teaspoon of orange extract for the vanilla and added a tablespoon of orange zest. The cake is very chocolate, moist and transports easy. Took it to work and everyone enjoyed. This is definately a repeat. Thanks!