This is a Rachael Ray recipe that I found in her Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine. The one thing I never bake correctly is scones, and if the self-pronounced baking dunce herself can make these...I at least have a shot!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (1 stick cut into pieces and 1 stick softened)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a food processor, combine flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the cut up pieces of butter and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the chocolate chips.
- 2In a small bowl, mix the egg and buttermilk until just combined. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until the dough just come together.
- 3Divide the dough into 2 equal parts and place on the prepared baking sheet. With lightly floured hands, shape each piece into a flat, round cake about 6 inches in diameter. Using a sharp, straight-edged knife, cut each round into 6 equal wedges, leaving them in place. Sprinkle the tops with the granulated sugar and bake until firm in the center when lightly touched, about 20-25 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool slightly before breaking into wedges.
- 4In a small bowl, using a hand mixer or a fork, beat the softened butter with the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until light and fluffy. Serve with the warm scones.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Chocolate Scones With Cinnamon Butter
Serving Size: 1 (89 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.7
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 58.9 mg
- Sodium 192.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 18.9 g
- Protein 4.6 g