Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
There's nothing like homemade chocolate pudding! This recipe is just as easy as packaged, but twice as rich and flavorful! Prep time includes time to cool in the freezer.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 ounce bittersweet chocolate or 1⁄2 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped (not unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt in heavy saucepan.
- Gradually add half of milk, whisking until mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in remaining milk.
- Continue whisking over medium heat until pudding thickens and comes to boil, about 5 minutes.
- Continue to boil 1 minute longer, whisking constantly.
- Remove pudding from heat.
- Add chocolate and vanilla, whisk until chocolate melts and pudding is smooth.
- Divide between 2 dessert dishes.
- Cool puddings in freezer 20 minutes and serve.
This pudding is terrific!!! My husband was reminded of a pudding his Grandmother used to make. It was rich and creamy and oh-so tasty. Thank you Bev, this will be made again and again in our house.
Yum, yum, yum! I doubled this, and all I did differently was let it chill for a few hours in the fridge, instead of stashing the dessert dishes in the freezer. What made this easy, tasty pudding particularly interesting is that not all of the chopped chocolate melted--I guess I didn't chop the chocolate fine enough--which meant there were little chocolate bits in the pudding. I really enjoyed that! I didn't do it on purpose, but was glad it worked out that way. Thanks for the recipe, Bev; it's a keeper!
This is my new "go to" chocolate pudding recipe. I don't like overly sweet desserts, so I followed JJRsMomma's rating and cut the sugar down to 1/4 cup. I doubled the recipe and left the vanilla at 1 tsp, which was perfect. I also used 2% milk, as that is what I had on hand. This was smooth, silky and so very chocolatey! Much better than the box, and much smoother than other recipes I've tried with egg yolks.