Prep 30 mins
Cook 18 mins
This recipe adapted from Southern Living Magazine, September 2006.
To make cupcakes
- 1 (12 ounce) packagenestle toll house semisweet chocolate morsels, divided
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups orange juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon orange zest (depending on how orangey you want your cupcakes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make frosting
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 (16 ounce) package confectioners' sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons orange juice
- Microwave 1 cup chocolate morsels in a 2-cup glass measuring cup at HIGH 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds.
- Stir until smooth.
- Cool slightly.
- Beat cake mix and next 3 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer until moistened.
- Increase speed to medium, and beat 1 to 2 minutes or until well blended and smooth.
- Add melted chocolate, orange zest, and vanilla, beating until blended.
- Spoon batter by 1/4-cupfuls into paper baking cups in muffin pans.
- Bake at 375° for 16 to 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Orange Buttercream Frosting evenly over cupcakes.
- Frosting directions:.
- Beat butter and orange rind at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add confectioners sugar, beating until well blended.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons orange juice, adding additional orange juice, if necessary, to reach desired consistency.
- Place remaining chocolate morsels in a 1-qt. zip-top plastic freezer bag; seal bag.
- Microwave at MEDIUM (50% power) 45 seconds to 1 minute, turning bag over after 30 seconds.
- Squeeze chocolate in bag until smooth.
- Cut a tiny hole in 1 corner of bag.
- Pipe melted chocolate over Orange Buttercream Frosting on cupcakes by gently squeezing bag.