This recipe adapted from Southern Living Magazine, September 2006.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
To make cupcakes
- 1 (12 ounce) package nestle toll house semisweet chocolate morsels, divided
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups orange juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon orange zest (depending on how orangey you want your cupcakes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make frosting
- 1Microwave 1 cup chocolate morsels in a 2-cup glass measuring cup at HIGH 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds.
- 2Stir until smooth.
- 3Cool slightly.
- 4Beat cake mix and next 3 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer until moistened.
- 5Increase speed to medium, and beat 1 to 2 minutes or until well blended and smooth.
- 6Add melted chocolate, orange zest, and vanilla, beating until blended.
- 7Spoon batter by 1/4-cupfuls into paper baking cups in muffin pans.
- 8Bake at 375° for 16 to 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 9Let cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- 10Spread Orange Buttercream Frosting evenly over cupcakes.
- 11Frosting directions:.
- 12Beat butter and orange rind at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- 13Gradually add confectioners sugar, beating until well blended.
- 14Stir in 2 tablespoons orange juice, adding additional orange juice, if necessary, to reach desired consistency.
- 15Place remaining chocolate morsels in a 1-qt. zip-top plastic freezer bag; seal bag.
- 16Microwave at MEDIUM (50% power) 45 seconds to 1 minute, turning bag over after 30 seconds.
- 17Squeeze chocolate in bag until smooth.
- 18Cut a tiny hole in 1 corner of bag.
- 19Pipe melted chocolate over Orange Buttercream Frosting on cupcakes by gently squeezing bag.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Chocolate-Orange Cupcakes W/ Orange Buttercream Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (2107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.6
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 46.1 mg
- Sodium 168.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 30.3 g
- Protein 2.1 g