Recipe by Chris from Kansas
These low-fat muffins are so good. They have a great texture and good chocolate flavor, especially considering that they are so much healthier than the regular version. This recipe is from a book called Gloria's Gourmet Low-Fat Muffins.
Top Review by LUVMY2BOYS
I thought these were wonderful! I tried to replace the honey with unsweetened applesauce & compensate for the sweetness by upping the Splenda (which I used to replace the sugar) & it just didn't work! So I made the recipe according to plan & it worked beautifully. I replaced the white flour with whole wheat pastry flour, used low fat buttermilk & 1/2 cup mini choc chips. I got 20 med sized muffins out of this. Perfect to satisfy a choc lover!
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 3⁄4 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Whisk the wet ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Pour into the dry mixture.
- Stir just until mixed.
- Do not overstir.
- Spoon the batter into a greased or papered muffin tin.
- Fill each cup nearly to the top.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool the muffins at least 10 minutes before removing from the tin.