Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A chocolate treat that's crispy on the outside and gooey goodness on the inside.
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift together the powdered sugar, cornstarch and cocoa. Set aside.
- In a metal mixing bowl, whisk together the egg whites and the granulated sugar. Set this bowl over a pot of simmering water and whisk until mixture is very warm and sugar dissolves. Be careful not to cook the whites. This may also be done over a double boiler.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream of tartar and salt.
- Whip until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla and vinegar while whites are whipping.
- Fold in the confectioners’ sugar mixture and chocolate chips.
- Drop by generously rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Cookies won’t spread. Bake for 30 minutes at 300 degrees F.