There is nothing bettter than Kahlua and/with chocolate, and it does just that in this cake. This is great for dinner parties and "adult-type" affairs. This is from the Cake-Mix Doctor, I didn't allow for cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package plain devil's food cake mix
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup Kahlua
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 3 large eggs
FLUFFY CHOCOLATE KAHLUA FROSTING
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Place rack in the center of the oven.
- 3Grease two 9"cake pans with vegetable shortening or butter or margarine, then dust with flour.
- 4Shake out the excess flour, I use cocoa powder.
- 5Set the pans aside.
- 6Place the cake mix, cocoa, Kahlua, buttermilk, oil and eggs in a large mxing bowl.
- 7Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 20 seconds.
- 8Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- 9Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down the sides again if needed.
- 10The batter should look well combined.
- 11Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula.
- 12Place the pans in the oven side by side.
- 13Bake the cakes until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 28-30 minutes.
- 14Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks and cool for 10 minutes.
- 15Run a dinner knife around the edge of each layer and invert each onto a rock, then invert again onto another rack so that the cakes are right side up.
- 16Allow to cool completely, 30 minutes more.
- 17FLUFFY CHOCOLATE KAHLUA FROSTING:.
- 18Place the cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl and pour in the boiling water and Kahlua.
- 19Stir with a wooden spoon, or rubber spatula until the cocoa comes together into a soft mass.
- 20Add the butter and blend with an electric mixer on low speed until the mixture is soft and well combined, 30 seconds.
- 21Stop the machine.
- 22Add the confectioners' sugar and cinnamon and beat with mixer on low speed until the sugar is incorporated, 1 minute.
- 23Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat the frosting lightens and is fluffy, 2 mimutes more.
- 24Place one of the layers right side up on a cake plate or stand.
- 25Generously and evenly frost the top of the layer.
- 26Place the second layer on top, and generously frost the top of the cake creating decorative swirls with spatula.
- 27With remaining frosting, frost around the sides of the cake using, smooth, clean strokes.
- 28Slice, then serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Chocolate Kahlua Cake
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 882.4
- Calories from Fat 347
- Total Fat 38.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 110.7 mg
- Sodium 670.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 122.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 94.7 g
- Protein 8.7 g