Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
There is nothing bettter than Kahlua and/with chocolate, and it does just that in this cake. This is great for dinner parties and "adult-type" affairs. This is from the Cake-Mix Doctor, I didn't allow for cooling time.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) packageplain devil's food cake mix
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup Kahlua
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3 large eggs
FLUFFY CHOCOLATE KAHLUA FROSTING
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place rack in the center of the oven.
- Grease two 9"cake pans with vegetable shortening or butter or margarine, then dust with flour.
- Shake out the excess flour, I use cocoa powder.
- Set the pans aside.
- Place the cake mix, cocoa, Kahlua, buttermilk, oil and eggs in a large mxing bowl.
- Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 20 seconds.
- Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down the sides again if needed.
- The batter should look well combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula.
- Place the pans in the oven side by side.
- Bake the cakes until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 28-30 minutes.
- Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks and cool for 10 minutes.
- Run a dinner knife around the edge of each layer and invert each onto a rock, then invert again onto another rack so that the cakes are right side up.
- Allow to cool completely, 30 minutes more.
- FLUFFY CHOCOLATE KAHLUA FROSTING:.
- Place the cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl and pour in the boiling water and Kahlua.
- Stir with a wooden spoon, or rubber spatula until the cocoa comes together into a soft mass.
- Add the butter and blend with an electric mixer on low speed until the mixture is soft and well combined, 30 seconds.
- Stop the machine.
- Add the confectioners' sugar and cinnamon and beat with mixer on low speed until the sugar is incorporated, 1 minute.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat the frosting lightens and is fluffy, 2 mimutes more.
- Place one of the layers right side up on a cake plate or stand.
- Generously and evenly frost the top of the layer.
- Place the second layer on top, and generously frost the top of the cake creating decorative swirls with spatula.
- With remaining frosting, frost around the sides of the cake using, smooth, clean strokes.
- Slice, then serve.