Recipe by J9
This is from the food network and is SO yummy. This not for the weak, your knees will buckle once you taste it.
Top Review by Rebekah of SFD
After reading the other reviews, I made some adjustments to make this a bit more gooey. I used applesauce instead of butter for the cake layer, which made it more moist when baked, but also sticky to spread in the pan, so be prepared for that. I sprinkled 1/2 c. chocolate chips onto the cake layer before adding the cream cheese layer, making this triple chocolate, yum! I used a 9x9" pan instead, making these thicker and definitely more like cake than bars. And the part about not cooking too long is so important - I only had to bake for 35 min., the center was gooey perfection! This is very rich, small servings go a long way. Thanks, J9!
- 1 cup butter, melted, plus additional butter for greasing pan
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 3 -4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease 13x9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine cake mix, 1 egg and 1 stick of melted butter and stir until well blended.
- Pat mixture in to pan.
- With mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add 2 eggs, cocoa powder and powdered sugar.
- Beat until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Slowly add 1 stick of melted butter and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in nuts with spatula.
- Spread filling over cake mixture.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes.
- (Be careful not to overcook, center should still be a little gooey when finished baking).
- Let partially cool on wire rack before cutting.
- Serve alone or with vanilla ice cream.