Prep 45 mins
Cook 50 mins
These are extemely delicious double chocolate cookies with my favorite Easter chocolate candies sitting prettily on top of each one.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup oatmeal (ground)
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 3 cups miniature chocolate eggs (Cadbury)
- Put 3/4 cup oatmeal in a food processor and pulse until the oatmeal looks finely ground up. You can use oat bran as an alternative.
- Combine flour, ground oatmeal, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Melt semi sweet chocolate chips in microwave or over double boiler.
- With an electric mixer, cream together sugar, vegetable shortening, butter, and vanilla.
- Slowly add the melted chocolate.
- Beat in eggs until fully incorporated.
- Slowly beat dry mixture into wet mixture.
- Fold in chocolate chips and pecans by hand.
- Let batter sit in the fridge for half an hour to set properly.
- Drop batter by heaping teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Garnish each cookie with a Cadbury mini egg.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool on cookie sheets for 6 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.