Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a never-fail, moist chocolate cupcake recipe, one that I have been making for years.
Top Review by MrsHatts
I hate giving this a bad review, but this falls on me for not reading the reviews. Those that substituted margarine for the shortening had a different recipe turn out. Shortening makes them greasy and I could not get past that flavor. I even used butter flavored Crisco and I could still taste it. The other ingredients were great and I think if I substitute butter/margarine then this would be a hit, but I needed to review the recipe as written.
- 177.44 ml Crisco shortening
- 295.73 ml sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 414.03 ml flour
- 118.29 ml baking cocoa
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml half-and-half cream or 236.59 ml milk
- 236.59 ml miniature chocolate chip
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line muffin cups with paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs and vanilla, beat well.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add alternately with half and half cream OR milk (if using) to shortening mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cupcakes test done.
- remove from pans to wire rack and cool completely before icing.