Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a never-fail, moist chocolate cupcake recipe, one that I have been making for years.
Make and share this Double Chocolate Cocoa Cupcakes recipe from Food.com.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line muffin cups with paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs and vanilla, beat well.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add alternately with half and half cream OR milk (if using) to shortening mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cupcakes test done.
- remove from pans to wire rack and cool completely before icing.
I hate giving this a bad review, but this falls on me for not reading the reviews. Those that substituted margarine for the shortening had a different recipe turn out. Shortening makes them greasy and I could not get past that flavor. I even used butter flavored Crisco and I could still taste it. The other ingredients were great and I think if I substitute butter/margarine then this would be a hit, but I needed to review the recipe as written.
I love the moist texture of these cupcakes ....very soft and I used milk instead of cream...Thanks for posting this recipe.
My favorite chocolate cupcake recipe thus far!! I usually only make Â½ a batch at a time, and use margarine instead of shortening. Thanks for sharing!!