Recipe by Chef 313014
Very good and chocolatey! I've included notes for buttermilk substitution and for high altitude baking. From Pillsbury.
Top Review by yinyang1195
I'm sorry, but these came out disgusting. I really don't want to be rude, but these were the most disgusting cupcakes I've ever made, and I'm always told I make really good cupcakes. They came out super dry and flaky and break apart at the slightest touch. They're also VERY flavorless. One tiny bite made my tongue dry up.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup vanilla chips or 3 ounces chopped white baking bar
- 1⁄2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup chopped slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F Grease 18 muffin cups. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
- In large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt; blend well.
- Add buttermilk, margarine, almond extract and egg; blend just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in vanilla and milk chocolate chips and almonds.
- Fill greased muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 375F for 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 3 minutes; remove from pan. Serve warm or cool.
- * To substitute for buttermilk, use 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice plus milk to make 1 cup.
- HIGH ALTITUDE -- Above 3500 Feet: No change.